Monday, January 21, 2008

The Best Movie of 2008 (so far)

Make that the best movie I've seen in 2008 so far. Actually, the only movie I've seen so far this year was Atonement, which I managed to see this weekend. It was terrific. I can't really tell you what it's about without spoiling at least some of the surprises in the film. It's almost two different movies in a way, although the connection is crystal clear. A very well made film. The cinematography is amazing -- surely deserving of an award. There's one shot that takes place on the beach in Dunkirk, with literally hundreds of extras, that lasts for several minutes (I didn't notice it when it started -- of course -- but partway into it, I realized what was happening.) The camera is in constant motion, the characters are in constant motion, and the camera switches between subjects several times. The logistics of this shot astound me. The storyline of the movie is fascinating, the acting is incredible. I pretty much loved everything about it.

And having Keira Knightley, quite possibly the most beautiful woman on earth, as a star didn't hurt any either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home