Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Beware of Picnic Tables

A little before six o'clock this evening, I was driving from Fairmont over to Welcome for play practice. I was taking the "back road" like I usually do. We call it Old-16 around here, 'cause it used to be Highway 16 in the pre-Interstate days. It's a straight shot from Fairmont to Welcome. I was probably doing close to 60 mph when I suddenly saw what looked like some kind of structure (my initial thought was that it was a piece of farm or construction equipment of some kind) sitting right in the middle of the lane in front of me. I was pretty close to it before I noticed it (it was dark). There wasn't anyone coming from the opposite direction very close, so I swerved toward the oncoming lane to try and get around it. That maneuver wasn't entirely successful. I hit the side of the thing, went across the other lane, hit the ice-covered shoulder, and skidded half-sideways down the incline and partly into a field. Fortunately, my car stayed upright; I thought I might flip over but didn't. About four vehicles stopped almost immediately to check on what happened and see if I was alright. I was fine, not even really very shaken up. My car seemed to be relatively okay, though the right front tire was leaking air. I walked back up to the roadway to discover that what was in the lane in front of me had been an upside down picnic table. My guess is that it fell out of someone's truck and they didn't notice. It had to have happened pretty recently -- I must have been the first person to come upon it. (There hadn't been any vehicles close in front of me.) With the help of someone who'd stopped, I dragged the picnic table to the side of the road. One of the other people who stopped used her cell phone to call a tow truck. After about ten minutes or so, a sheriff's car came along, and the deputy shooed every one else away, and he and I waited for the tow truck to arrive. (The deputy, by the way, turned out to be the father of one of my current students. Small world, or at least county.) The tow truck arrived and pulled my car out of the field. Both right side tires were flat. The driver put my spare on the back one, so he could tow the car back to Fairmont. I got back home about 7:00, just over an hour after the "incident." (I used my cell phone just after the accident to call a couple of my play kids whose numbers I had to let them know I wouldn't be making it to practice, and that they should tell everyone to go home.) The car's in the shop, to be looked at tomorrow. I noticed a small dent near the rear on the right side, and it looked like something was hanging loose underneath the engine, but other than the tires, I think it appears pretty roadworthy. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lover of Words, Books, Games, Theatre, Film, Art said...

Around here, we worry about deer in the roads. I suspect them deer were hanging around, playing cards, drinking deer beer when they heard your approach. They scattered pretty quickly, tipping the table.

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home