Sunday, May 04, 2008

Iron Man

I've never been a huge fan of the Iron Man Marvel comics character, but I've never really disliked him either. I've been an on-and-off reader of the series since the '70s, though it's been awhile now since I've read it. That being said, I was really looking forward to the new movie. All the previews looked really good. And the movie did not disappoint. This may be the best movie based on a Marvel character yet (and I'm a big fan of the first Spider-man flick and the X-Men movies). It may be because Iron Man is not the iconic type of character that Superman, Batman, or Spider-man is (or Wolverine, for that matter), but there was never a moment while I was watching the movie when I thought, "Robert Downey is doing a good job acting as Tony Stark." On the contrary, I always felt that was Tony Stark up there on the screen. Nicely done.

If anyone hasn't seen the movie yet, and still intends to, I counsel sticking through the credits to see the "extra" scene tacked on at the end. For the true comics fan, it's well worth it. Given what happens in the movie, I figured out what that little scene would contain (I'd heard there was one, but I generally sit through credits anyway), but was pleased to see the particular actor representing the character in that scene. 'Nuff said.

Speaking of credits, like all Marvel movies, the credit sequence is really horrible. Thankfully, they left it until the end of the movie instead of the beginning this time.

3 Comments:

Blogger STOLTMAN said...

I loved this movie. It was cool how close the origin was to the comics. Some of Stan Lee's origins suck, but this one works pretty well.
The trailers I saw were The Hulk, Batman and Indiana Jones. It could be a pretty cool summer for movies.

Jeff

7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I'm going to have to see this.

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

K,

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I agree with Kootch - it's the best Marvel-based superhero movie yet. Robert Downey Jr submerges into the role in a way that I don't think anyone else has quite pulled off yet.

3:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home