Monday, August 22, 2005

My medical misadventures

I had my dentist appointment today, cavity filled and a cleaning. Besides being time-consuming (I was there over an hour) and expensive, it was alright, I suppose. Later, while out biking, I took a turn a bit too close, ran into what is essentially a guard rail or railing, and was thrown headfirst off my bike onto the sidewalk. (Maybe I was still under the influence of the novacaine, I don't know.) My injuries seemed to be confined to a scraped left knee, some cuts along my left arm, a bruise/abrasion on my right shoulder, and a sore chin where it connected with the sidewalk. I managed to ride my bike home and sat for a half hour or so in front of the TV. I even made a sandwich. However, at this time, my right shoulder and (especially) elbow started hurting more. This bothered me as there were no real visible injuries on that arm. I found I couldn't straighten my arm at the elbow, nor could I bend it more than ninety degrees. Uh-oh, thought I. I drove myself over to the emergency room, where 45 minutes and a half dozen x-rays later, I was told that it looked like I'd fractured my arm. I've currently got a temporary cast/splint on that arm, which is resting in a sling. In the next couple of days I need to see my regular doctor and/or an orthopedist to find out more. Stay tuned.

(And, in case you're wondering, this post was typed entirely left-handed with the old hunt-and-peck method -- except that I know where all the keys are. Still it's been twenty minutes since I started it.)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope that everything else turns out to be fine. You need to be a bit more careful Mr. Knevil. Well get some rest and take care of your self.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Lover of Words, Books, Games, Theatre, Film, Art said...

Well...I think I've learned my lesson! No biking while under the influence of novacaine!

12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home