Thursday, August 11, 2005

Movie Reviews

I decided to go to the movies this afternoon.

First I saw Sky High. I liked it. The high school losers vs. "cool" kids and delayed romance with the next door neighbor storylines were things that I'd seen before in, oh, say, about 70 million movies. But the superpower stuff was cool. Neat examples of different superpowers, and some good-looking superhero battles. It was all a bit cheesy, but fun. It wasn't so much a parody of comic books, but a comic book movie not based directly on a comic book. A lot of it was the kind of stuff that I'd expect to find in a comic, and probably for that reason, I liked it.

Afterwards I went to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I wasn't sure if I wanted to see this, but I am very glad I did. Now, I've never read the original Roald Dahl book, and hard as this may be to believe, I never saw the Gene Wilder version, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I thought I should see that before seeing the new movie, but then realized that without seeing it, I'd have a very different experience at the new movie than most people. I was smiling and/or laughing throughout most of the movie. It definitely had the odd quirkiness of a Tim Burton film, which is something I enjoy. And Johnny Depp's performance as Willy Wonka is freakin' hilarious. Amazing. It's hard to imagine how the original movie version is better than this. I've heard that this movie stays closer to the original Dahl book; then again, I've heard the exact opposite, and having never read it, I can't say which. I really liked it, though.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't seen Willy Wonka yet, but I'd like to. I think that Johnny Depp is underrated as an actor. I really appreciate that he takes chances and pushes the envelope a bit. And Tim Burton movies are delightfully odd.

12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home