Sunday, June 08, 2008

Three More Stories

I really enjoyed "In the House of the Seven Librarians" by Ellen Klages, about a young girl, abandoned as a baby on the doorstep, who is raised in an otherwise deserted, unused old library by the seven spinster librarians who call the place home. A really delightful, fun little fantasy that really emphasizes the importance of books. The ending -- and this one had a really good one -- even made me a little sad, as the girl, now grown, heads out into the world to make her own life, not knowing if she'll ever return to her home. Kind of reminded me of recent events in my own life, and got me choked up a little.

"Drowning Palmer" by Sarah Monette was an interesting ghost story (and I've read a lot of those this summer, it seems). Satisfying but hardly memorable.

"Landfill" by Joyce Carol Oates was the story of a death, or rather the aftereffects of that death with certain speculations on the causes leading up to it. Oates' styles is always interesting but this kind of seemed to go nowhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home