Friday, June 09, 2006

A story a day

I'm not sure it's keeping the doctor (or anything else, except maybe boredom) away. BUT... a couple of years ago, I came up with a plan for doing some summertime reading, since I was teaching and not working during the summer months. I've got a few anthologies of short stories that I really like, but was finding it hard to find time to wade through them. I decided that for the summer months -- June 1st through August 31st -- I would read at least one short story every day. I figured that given I'd probably do a few extra here and there, I would probably read about 100 stories during the summer. I've done it most summers (though, sadly, not last summer) since then. I decided I'd try and get back to it this summer, though I really didn't get started until about the 5th. (School didn't finish until the 2nd, and the 3rd and 4th were mainly taken up with graduation parties.) Tonight -- or last night, since it's after midnight now -- I finally caught up.

There are rules to this. If I miss a day, it needs to be made up by reading two stories the next day. (Or three the day after, depending on what I've missed.) However, I can't "read ahead." That is, if I read an extra story someday, I don't count that toward the next day's.

I really like the stuff I've been reading so far the last few days, stories from last year's (the most recent) collection of THE YEAR'S BEST FANTASY AND HORROR. If I come across a particular story that really stands out, I'll no doubt make mention of it here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home