Monday, May 29, 2006

Black Glass

A few weeks ago, I started reading a collection of short stories -- or as they're referred to on the book cover, short fictions -- called Black Glass by Karen Joy Fowler. I've read a lot of Ms. Fowler's work: another collection of stories, and her first two novels, Sarah Canary and The Sweetheart Season. I must say that I really quite enjoy her work and a couple of the stories in this collection were outstanding. I really liked "Go Back", "Contention" and "Letters From Home" for anyone who might be familiar with it. Some of her short fiction gets classified as science fiction or fantasy (although none of her novels are) and she often gets published in the genre magazines. A lot of it is more what I've seen referred to as "interstitial," that is, fiction that falls between the cracks of different genres. I seem to have a poor memory for details these days, and I can't rememer much of anything about Sarah Canary, which I read quite a few years ago, but I do remember being pretty impressed by it. I suppose that bodes well if I want to read it again sometime; it'll seem like a new book to me. The Sweetheart Season had something to do with women who played baseball during the WWII era, and I think part of it takes place in Minnesota. In any event, she's a writer I'd strongly recommend, both for her short fiction and for her novels.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home