Sunday, April 16, 2006

Spring break - Day 9 - We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto

Ten and a half hours on the road today (including stops) and about 660 miles. I left Tucumcari this morning around 8:45, and quickly lost an hour when I crossed into Texas. I drove across Texas (the panhandle) without stopping -- I have that anti-Bush bumper sticker on my car and that's probably a crime in Texas. They did have a big sign welcoming me to the state and at the bottom it said they were the proud home of President George W. Bush. I spent a lot of time in Oklahoma; I wonder if that highway 54 route would have been quicker. I crossed the Chisolm Trail, and of course, I responded to that with Boogie's line from Diner. I drove through (rather than around) Oklahoma City. I was there around 3:30 on Easter Sunday, and traffic wasn't bad; it would have been very light traffic for the Twin Cities. Since around 5:30 or so I've been in Kansas. (Yes, Toto, I am in Kansas; what's a little dog know anyway?) I think Kansas gets an unfair rep for being flat. At least along the route I drove (the Kansas turnpike from the Oklahoma border to Topeka, where I'm staying tonight), it was mostly gently rolling hills. Nothing like the I-80 corridor through Nebraska. (Although perhaps going west-east on I-70 would be a different story.) Tomorrow is the last day of my break, and I should be on the road less time than I have been yesterday or today. My next report should be from home.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You drove through Texas with an anti-Bush sticker on your car and lived to tell about it?

11:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I-70 is my favorite toll road, against not very stiff competition. We had some good eats along there.

3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home