Saturday, April 15, 2006

Spring Break - Day 3 - By the time I got to Phoenix

...it was about 4:00 p.m. on Monday. (This isn't being posted until days later, 'cause as Stix came close to guessing, I didn't have any wireless access while staying at my brother's place in Phoenix. He has dial-up. I could have gotten online with his computer and posted, I suppose, but it didn't seem that big of a deal.) The drive from Albuquerque to Flagstaff was okay, a pretty straight shot with some gradual increases in elevation. It was very windy, but I'm used to that I suppose. The area around Flagstaff is very nice, it reminded me of some parts of Montana. It's pretty high up (elevation around 7000 feet) with lots of trees and a nearby mountain topped with snow. From Flagstaff to Phoenix, which is a journey of about 140 miles (just about the distance from Fairmont to the Cities or Winona to the Cities [northern part]), the elevation drops about 6000 feet. And it's not a gradual decline or just dropping, but it goes up and down throughout the mountains. It's an interesting drive, but maybe not the best one to be undertaken by someone who has as intense a fear of heights as I do.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have no comments about driving through, or at least past, the city in Arizona named after our home town of Winona?

12:00 AM  
Blogger Kootch said...

Actually I had to stop there to buy gas, and it was by far the most expensive of any place I stopped. I was really just along the interstate, and didn't go into the town at all.

12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home