Thursday, March 30, 2006

An organ music revelation

On Sunday I was at a used bookstore in Minneapolis. Like all good bookstores, they were playing public radio over their sound system. There was a mention of the upcoming Sunday night program of organ music. This small incident brought forth a strong memory in me. When I lived in Winona and could get MPR, I used to play the classical music station overnight with the volume just barely loud enough to be heard. (The overnight music thing was a habit I'd picked up from a former girlfriend.) I remembered the Sunday evening organ music program, and I remembered how I'd feel a bit depressed on Sunday nights knowing I had to go to work again on Monday morning. I recently heard of a phenomonen where people tend to get a Sunday night blues because they know that Monday morning means the start of another work week. I had that back then, during the years I taught at Wabasha-Kellogg. I don't get that any more. In my current job, teaching at MCW, I have very rarely, if ever, felt depressed about having to go back to work on a Monday or any other day. Five years into it, and I find I'm still very much enjoying my job and what I do. I don't leap out of bed with a smile on my face every morning, but that's because I'm not a morning person. But I don't ever feel bummed out that I have to go to work. I like my job, and I like "my kids."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The organ program was "Pipe Dreams with Michael Barone," right?

12:14 AM  
Blogger Kootch said...

That's the one.

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home