Monday, April 17, 2006

Spring break - Day 10 - Home again, home again

Jiggity jig. A bit less than 500 miles today (maybe 488) in about 7 1/2 hours, counting stops. I think I had some of my favorite driving today, 'cause I got off the interstate. I went from Topeka, Kansas, to St. Joseph, Missouri (where I picked up I-29) on state highways. To me, that's a more fun drive and you get to see more stuff (like towns) than on the Interstate. The Interstate's a good way to travel if you need to go a long distance in the shortest amount of time (and I did), but if you really want to see the country, you need to go by other roads. That's my big lesson for the day.

By the numbers: Minnesota to Arizona: 1723 miles. Arizona to Minnesota: 1788 miles. Different route. Time spent on the road (counting lunch stops, not overnights): about 28 hours each way. It was an interesting, and mostly enjoyable, experience, but I don't think I'll be making any more long trips like that in the foreseeable future.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess that means i don't even need to bother mentioning my long-standing idea of going to KC to see the Twins and Royals in an outdoor stadium, right?
Although by comparison, that would be a short jaunt in the country-side.

Was Walter, or whatever his name is today, happy to see you back home?

12:54 AM  
Blogger Kootch said...

Actually one of the reasons I took the route I did through Kansas was to avoid Kansas City.

Grady (for today) seemed kind of pissed off when I got home, but he's over it now.

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home