Monday, March 13, 2006

Snow Day

We got our first snow day of the year today, March 12th. I'm not surprised at the date because it's known that statistically March is the snowiest month in Minnesota. We probably don't think of it that way since the snow usually melts away soon after. I'm not sure how much snow we officially got -- predictions were for between five and eight inches, and I think we were on the high end of that -- but there were drifts in my driveway that were over a foot and a half. Some of the stuff on top's kind of light and fluffy (especially what's been blown in by the 30-mile an hour winds) but underneath it's wet and heavy. I just spent about half an hour shovelling my driveway and I'm only about halfway done. I'm trying to avoid going down to the street where the plows pushed in massive chunks of icy debris.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Snow days rule!

3:27 PM  
Blogger Kootch said...

I should have mentioned that about 8:00 this morning, after I'd gone back to bed though I didn't sleep, I heard the sound of a snowblower outside. Looking out, I noticed my neighbor from next door had snowblown (is that a verb?) not only the sidewalk in front of his house, but had continued to make a path along the sidewalk in front of my house as well. As I watched from the comfort of my bedroom, he then proceeded down my driveway, clearing a good half of it. Unfortunately, he did this way too early (the snow hadn't stopped yet) and most of the areas he cleared had been drifted over by the time I went out to shovel. Still, it saved me some time and effort.

6:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No snow here, unfortunately, but my friend Whitney, visiting from Ohio, saw a hummingbird today...

2:34 AM  
Blogger Kootch said...

Well, a good deal of ours is melted away already today. It's not that warm, but the sun on the roads and sidewalks is clearing them off nicely.

The other odd thing I forgot to mention is that the winds were so strong that the icicles hanging off my roof are at something like a 30-degree angle. It's a weird look.

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home