Friday, March 10, 2006

Keeping in touch by blog

There are times when technology is meant to further or simplify our communication. I remember when I got my first computer and instantly fell in love with the idea of email. My long distance phone bills dropped dramatically and immediately. I still believe, however, that the cell phone is the modern world's greatest curse, and that rather than helping people stay in touch, is serving to isolate people even more. I mean, how often have you seen someone chatting away mindlessly on their cell phone and completely ignoring the people around -- and with -- them? The blogs seem to me, after a year or so of experiencing them, a good thing. I still communicate a lot via email, but I find that I'm keeping in close touch with a number of people these days through their blogs. I have developed a kind of ritual when firing up my computer these days: after checking my email, I launch my internet browser and check out several blogs. (This is a daily -- at least -- event.) I'll check blogs from my friends Will, Steve, K, and Stix, and then check the Winona boys blog and, finally, this, my own to see if anyone's posted any comments. I guess what made me think of this is that I'm really enjoying reading (and commenting on) Will's blog to the extent that I feel I'm in closer touch with him these days than I am with his dad, with whom I've been friends for 35 years ("longer than I've known just about anybody, now that I come to think of it," to quote Neil Young).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kootch,

I'm enjoying your comments over there, and I'd add that we're probably closer now (distance excepted) than we've been in years, if not ever.

Don't know if you're aware of my side project, Carriage Return, which I've linked to via my identity in this comment. I originally bought the domain as an experiment and test-site, but after an initial cool period I decided to turn it into a body of work I'll be able to cite when it comes time to start the college application process again in a few months.

2:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home