Sunday, February 05, 2006

My musical tastes

I stopped in at Tune Town today, my favorite indie record store, up in Mankato. I don't often buy new stuff, but I really like Tune Town's selection of used CDs: they've got a lot of stuff, it's pretty eclectic, and it seems to get additions frequently. I don't think it was too long ago that I was there last, but looking through the used racks, I noticed a lot of CDs I hadn't seen there before. And yet, despite the fact that I maintain an ongoing list of CDs to look for used and that list is well over 100 items long, I didn't find anything in the used bins to buy today. I suspect the reason is that the stuff I'm looking for is getting more and more obscure and esoteric as time goes by. I don't listen to the radio much (other than NPR) and the stuff that gets added to my list isn't the type of music you'd hear on the radio, no matter what station you were listening to (except maybe the Current). I did pick up one new CD today: the recent release by Minneapolis' own Flamin' Oh's. I just played it and I really like it a lot after only one listen-through. My initial reaction is that it captures the Flamin' Oh's '80s pop/new wave sounds updated for the new millenium.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lover of Words, Books, Games, Theatre, Film, Art said...

Just curious...if you don't listen to the radio much, where do you get the list of some 100 titles/bands that you are trying to find?

12:19 AM  
Blogger Kootch said...

Mostly reviews. Sometimes recommendations from friends. A lot of the stuff on my list are new(er) albums from artists that I know I like 'cause I have other stuff by them.

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home