Monday, January 02, 2006

King Kong

I saw the new movie version of King Kong this afternoon. I have four comments.

1. Most movies require a certain amount of suspension of disbelief. Some movies require a lot of it. I think King Kong used up all my suspension of disbelief for the next four years or so.
2. About the first third of the movie details the efforts of a moviemaking crew on their quest to make a new adventure movie. Early on there's a joke about having only 15 pages of script for their movie. I found that joke very apropos. (I'm guessing there's a line in the script for Kong that goes something like "King Kong fights dinosaurs for the next, say, twenty minutes.")
3. I'm not sure I'd agree with the people who claim the film has a racist undertone or subtext. I can definitely see where their comments come from, I'm just not sure I agree with them. Though I'm not sure I don't, either. I'm of two minds about it.
4. It has inspired me to want to watch the original 1933 version, though. Sadly I must admit that, film buff though I am, I've never seen it.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So would you recommend seeing it in a theatre for its own merits, or waiting and going to see the new Quentin Tarantino flick instead?

5:37 PM  
Blogger Kootch said...

I would not recommend it. How was Hostel?

11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's definitely not "the scariest American movie in a decade," which was some of the hype surrounding it.

Now, "the goriest..." might just fit the bill. A rental, if that.

And best on an empty stomach.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Kootch said...

Good to know.

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home