Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Rocky Raccoon

On my way home tonight, I hit and killed a raccoon with my car. For many, probably most, people this wouldn't be a big deal. And I guess it's not a "big deal" for me, either, but I feel kinda bad. [For some of the kids in our high school, raccoon hunting is a sport. Not with guns, either. They go out into the woods with baseball bats and club them. I kid you not.] This isn't the first time I've caused the death of an animal (other than insects or birds, mind you) with my vehicle. I nailed a deer just outside Winona one time. And once before I got a raccoon, just south of Lake City while driving back up to the U with my friend Jill when we were in college. I felt pretty bad about that one, too, but she felt worse, I think. She made me pull over to the side of the road right afterwards. I'm not sure if she got physically sick, or just thought she was going to, but she was pretty affected. I felt bad (though not that bad) when I hit the one tonight, but I think I'll get over it.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Raccoon is probably considered a delicacy at some of the finer eating establishments in Martin County.

10:34 PM  
Blogger Kootch said...

In the last few days since this incident, I've noticed perhaps half a dozen raccoon carcasses on the side of the road between here and Sherburn. Must be lots of them out this time of year.

Good eatin'!

7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good vittles:

1 raccoon
1 bunch celery
3 cl garlic, chopped
2 large red onions, quartered
1 large apple, quartered
3 hot red peppers
1 cup vinegar
3 tbsp salt

Be sure the lymph glands of the raccoon have been removed. Have someone who is experienced remove the glands as well as the skin.

Pull celery apart and wash. Place all ingredients in pot with enough water to cover raccoon.

Bring to slow boil and cook until tender or until fork goes in easily, about 1-2 hours depending upon size of raccoon. Remove
meat from pot, cut off front and back legs; cut remainder into four
pieces.

Place on rack, brush with your favorite barbeque sauce. Place
in 400 deg. oven; turn and baste frequently with barbecue sauce until a golden brown, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Serves 6.

Mabye something you can try for the next Kootchfest? If you've got a big enough freezer, you could collect up all those raccoons on the side of the road and store until needed...

11:00 AM  
Blogger Kootch said...

When I started this blog, I never expected that one day it would feature a recipe for raccoon.

Maybe it's because of my coonicide the other night, but I've noticed a great number of the critters alongside the roadway lately. Gives a whole new meaning to the term "a coon's age."

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home