Sunday, September 25, 2005

Water water

We got inundated with heavy thunderstorms last night, and lots of rain. There's some water in various places on the floor of my basement, not unusual when we get heavy rains. Last night around 12:30, I went downstairs to find a puddle of water on my kitchen floor. Water was seeping through somewhere in the roof, and then making its way to the celing of the kitchen, where it then proceeding to drip, drip, drip from a crossbeam to the floor. In fact, on the crossbeam itself, there was a disturbingly large pocket of water accumulating underneath a skin of paint. I mopped up the floor, put down a towel, and a bucket. In the morning, I had maybe an inch and a half of brownish water in the bucket. After the rains finally let up, the water stopped dripping. Now, I'm a bit perturbed by this. It's happened before in a slightly different area when there was an excess of snow on the roof and one of those lovely ice jams was preventing it from running off. But while I felt annoyed and disturbed by the whole event, I couldn't help but think of the people in New Orleans and other areas of the south, and what it must be like to have your home under several feet of water and to lose everything.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, the joys of home ownership.

12:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, just in time for the end of construction season, too! Nature always has great timing...

3:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home