Friday, June 16, 2006

Dueling Media

I've never seen the movie Deliverance. Being the movie buff I am, and among certain of my friends, this would seem fairly unbelievable. It is nevertheless true. I know the basic idea of the story, but I've never seen the film. However, last night (or very early this morning), I finished reading the novel Deliverance by James Dickey, on which the movie is based. I didn't know there was a novel until just recently. It's probably a rare experience for someone who hasn't seen the movie to read the book these days, and I treasure that feeling. I liked the book quite a lot. As I said, I knew the basic storyline, but not many of the details. As I was reading, I thought it would be very easy, and somewhat entertaining, to take the plot of this book and make it into a movie. However, I can't imagine making a movie that captures the tone of the novel. It's a very introspective piece of fiction. I have a certain impression of the movie, and I would think that statement might surprise fans of the movie who haven't read the novel. However, I haven't seen the movie, so I really do not know. I intend to watch the movie one of these days now that I've finished reading the novel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home