Friday, June 16, 2006

Accident Prone?

Two summers ago, I hurt my back pretty severely. My biggest physical activity is riding my bike, and that injury put me off my bike for a month or more. Last summer, I took a spill off that selfsame bike and broke my right arm. It was in a sling for a few months and didn't fully heal -- that is, get back to normal -- until about nine months later.

Tonight, I cut my face during play rehearsal. My character, a burglar, has to make an entrance by punching a plane of glass out of a doorway, so as to reach through and unlock the door. Breaking and entering, you see. We're using plexiglass instead of real glass, of course. I had to do this about six times during the course of rehearsal tonight. About the second or third time, the plexiglass sheet decided to rotate somewhat. The lower part went forward, and the upper portion came back and sliced about an inch-and-a-half (maybe a bit less) gash in my right cheek. I didn't think it was that bad. I kept putting my fingers to my cheek and coming away with little drops of blood, and it stung like crazy, but we went on with rehearsals. My fellow actors all had a look at it and were duly amazed. I didn't get to see it until we took a break. The cut was a lot longer than I would have thought. It's not deep and doesn't really hurt, but it looks kind of wicked.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lover of Words, Books, Games, Theatre, Film, Art said...

So...you won't have to do any make-up to get that rugged, burglar look?

5:46 PM  
Blogger Kootch said...

By the time the show opens, I'm afraid it will be but a memory.

11:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, when people say "break a leg" it doesn't mean to literally injure yourself. It's just a figure of speech

1:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always said you were a real cut up.

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home