Monday, September 24, 2007

Auditions, take one

We held auditions tonight after school for our fall musical, Thoroughly Modern Millie. We had what I'd consider a good turnout, although as usual more girls than boys. In fact, a lot more girls than boys. I had 20 girls audition today, only 4 boys. I know of at least two other boys, both of whom talked to me, who are auditioning tomorrow night. I always hold two days of auditions, usually one after school and one in the evening, to accomodate those in sports practices and games. This afternoon, for example, none of the football players could've made auditions because they had practice, but tomorrow night they should be free. While I'm sure I'll get "enough" boys for the play, it won't be any extra. I figure I need at least seven boys, and it would be nice to have another five or six to be in the chorus/crowd scenes. Again, it begs the question as to why so many plays are so heavily tilted for male roles over female, when in high schools (and other theatre levels, I'm sure), there are many more girls interested than guys. One of the reasons I chose this play is that it has a large number of female roles, and relatively few males. And still, it looks like my options are going to be thin. (Actually, I should point out that all the boys who auditioned and/or talked to me so far are very strong actors.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home