Saturday, July 21, 2007

Lie to me

I'm halfway through a two-week class in children's and young adult non-fiction. I took this class for a number of reasons, the main one being that we don't ever do much teaching centered around non-fiction, and I don't know much about it. Most people probably read a lot more non-fiction than fiction, and we don't address that in school. The thing I've learned the most so far is that I don't really care a lot for non-fiction. I've read some things that've been okay, some that I rather enjoyed (there's a recent young adult book on Marco Polo I read this afternoon that's just gorgeous and fascinating), but mostly it's made me want to read some kind of fiction based on the same subjects.

I love stories, and my tastes run far more to the fantastic (hence, my interest in science fiction, fantasy, and horror, to say nothing of the comics) than the realistic. That seems to be my trouble with the class. I want someone to tell me stories. Lie to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home