Saturday, July 14, 2007

The wheels go 'round and 'round

Last summer I got pretty obsessive about bike riding. I rode 8-10 miles a day, not a long ride by any stretch, but I tried very hard not to miss a day. I spent a lot of time last summer going back and forth to Winona -- I was pulling comics from my collection in preparation for my first shot at being a dealer at last fall's comic con in St. Paul. When I'd make these trips to Winona, I'd go for a bike ride early in the day (keeping in mind here that I probably slept until noon most days), then drive over. The following day, I'd return home early enough that I could still take a ride in the evening before dark. Like I said, obsessive.

This summer, while still wanting to get in enough riding, I decided when summer began that I wasn't going to obsess over it. I'd try and ride often, but if I missed a day here and there, no big deal. I've kept that attitude, and it seems to have worked. I haven't missed a day riding in awhile -- in fact, today was the 30th day in a row that I rode. I've been doing a ten-mile route daily this summer, although one day I cut that down to eight (I just couldn't see riding an extra mile at that point straight into a 30-mile per hour wind); I did make that up by riding 12 one day later in the week. So, anyway, in the last month, I've ridden 300 miles, which I think is pretty cool.

I bring this up now 'cause I'm sure that at some point soon, I'll miss a day. But I won't obsess about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home