Thursday, December 29, 2005

Best of 2005 - Movies

Unlike music, I keep a pretty close relationship with the current movies showing at my local cinema. Unfortunately, my local cinema is pretty poor about getting many good new movies. And don't even think about anything outside the realm of mass popularity -- an independent, art film? Never gonna happen. I do make occasional trips to the metropolis of the Twin Cities for those.

That said, I did see 34 movies in the theatre this year. (36 if you want to count the two movies I saw twice -- Batman Begins and Fantastic Four 'cause I knew you were wondering.) There was some pretty decent stuff out this year, in comedies (The 40-Year Old Virgin was very funny), indie dramas (Palindromes, Sideways, Thumbsucker are all recommended), and sci-fi (Serenity was a delight and a surprise). Living where I do, I'm still waiting for Brokeback Mountain to make its appearance. Capote? Gonna have to wait for the DVD (I missed my chance to catch it at the Uptown). Here are my picks for the best films of the year:

Best Movie: Walk the Line. Without a question, and without any close contenders. This held my attention all the way through. I'm a big Johnny Cash fan, and I learned some things I hadn't known. I'm not a big Joaquin Phoenix fan, but I thought he was outstanding in this role. My mom liked it, too.

Honorable Mentions: Mirrormask. I'm not sure how this will look on a smaller screen, but check out the DVD when you can. On the big screen, I'd never seen anything quite like this before. Also, Batman Begins. Definitely the best Batman movie ever. And the closest to the comic book source material. Coincidence? I think not.

Up next: the best TV shows of 2005.

2 Comments:

Blogger STOLTMAN said...

In what way was Serenity a surprise?

1:49 PM  
Blogger Kootch said...

For one thing, I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. There were also some surprising moments, such as the death of major characters (trying not to give anything away, in case someone who hasn't seen the movie yet read this -- an unlikely possibility, I admit).

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home