Friday, September 02, 2005

Gas

So gas prices have gone up, as you all know. Where I live gas is right around the $3 mark. The last sign I saw had it at $2.99.9. I get kind of a perverse kick out of hearing all the moaning over high gas prices. We, as Americans, have had really cheap gas for years. Most European countries have seen gas prices around $5 (with exchange rates) for a long time. Gas, in and of itself, isn't necessarily more expensive there, its just that most of those countries tack on very high taxes and fees to cover expenses. My hope is that the rise in gas prices will get many people to rethink the "need" for a huge gas-guzzling SUV, or a pick-up, or some other vehicle that they could really do without. Maybe car manufacturers will seriously look into producing more fuel-efficient vehicles -- we know the technology is there, it's just that the desire hasn't been. I know I've been thinking, long before gas prices started to go up, that my next car might be a hybrid.

I heard President Bush today exhorting consumers not to buy gas "if they don't need it." Great advice, W. 'Cause you just know people are out there spending $3 or more a gallon on gas that they just don't need. Sheesh.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home