Saturday, July 23, 2005

Miss Trimont

Tonight I attended the Trimont Area Junior Miss Scholarship Pagent. Like the last two years, I ran the spotlight for them, and set the other lights as well. The pagent is held on the same gym stage where I've done our school plays. Technically, it's not a beauty pagent, though many of these young women are quite attractive. The girls who participate (eight of them this year) are all going to be high school seniors in the fall, so while it's rare that I haven't had one in class already, I'll have them all in class come fall. The judging covers five areas 1) scholastic achievement (which I have a pretty good idea about); 2) panel evaluation (this is the one part I don't observe); 3) creative or performing arts (or "talent" -- they had some good ones this year: vocal, piano, dance); 4) fitness (for which the girls create a "routine" where they prance around the stage, doing some dance moves, and generally try to show themselves as "physically fit"); and 5) presence and composure (judged on how they appear on stage). Sadly, there is not swimsuit competition. Last night, I attended a rehearsal so that I could see what was going on and know when and where to move the spotlight (following the girls who dance, for example). By the end of the program last night, I had predicted the winner. I was correct, as I was last year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home