Saturday, February 10, 2007

Speech shirts

Our speech team attended their first invitational of the season today. We did...okay. We had one person break finals, and she finished sixth in her category. No one else did exceptionally well, although a few people racked up some decent scores considering. We've got something like 28 people on our team this year (about three times what we've had the last few years) and 21 of those are in their first year in speech -- and those were at their first-ever tournament today.

We got speech team sweatshirts for the first time this year. We finally came up with a cool slogan, which is printed on the back of the sweatshirts:
"Public Speaking
"America's #1 fear
"My Varsity sport"
The slogan was my idea, but tweaked into its current form by my good friend and professional advertising (and other stuff) writer, K. We got a lot of compliments on the shirts today, both from other coaches and judges and from students from other schools. I overheard one judge saying, "Every year I look for the best speech sweatshirt. That's definitely the one this year." I was standing near him when he said this, but he had no idea they were from my team. Pretty much made my day.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been wearing my long-sleeved WSHS Cross Country T-shirt all day today, the one with "Slick Willie" (the nickname Jim Flim gave me) written across the back. Excellent thing to wear on a lazy Saturday.

1:50 AM  
Blogger Lover of Words, Books, Games, Theatre, Film, Art said...

I love the slogan, Kootch & K!

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home