Saturday, December 30, 2006

Best of 2006 - TV

I've noticed a happy trend this fall: the return of on-screen episode titles. Most TV shows title their episodes, but few of those titles are ever shown on the air. I wish more of them were. I noticed that two new shows I've started watching, Heroes and Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, both do it. Perhaps I'm too big of a geek, but I like that.

I had a slightly different relationship with TV this fall than in previous years. I was extremely busy doing other stuff that precluded watching much TV on a regular basis (other than Wednesday nights), but I continued to tape a number of programs. After the play and my grad school class ended, I managed to sit back and watch 8 to 10 episodes of a few shows over the course of a week or so (each). It was interesting and I think it helped; most of the stuff I'm watching now have really large casts, and week-to-week, I might have been lost.

Best TV show of 2006: Lost. Has it lost its momentum? Did it get it back? Whatever, I'm still loving it every week. Splitting up the main characters for this fall's six-week run didn't hurt; it only made it more interesting.

Best new show: Heroes. I've heard different views on this show, but I don't see how anyone who's a comic book super-hero fan can not like this one. It's a comic book come to life on the small screen; all the elements are there. And it's really well put together. I watched all 11 episodes in the week before Christmas, and can't wait for more.

Honorable mentions: The Nine: coming right after Lost on Wednesdays, but with a really different feel and flavor to it. Sure, there's some mystery there, but the character interactions were fabulous. This got pulled early, but I hear it might be coming back. I sure hope so. Studio 60: despite the unwieldy full title (see above), I've really come to enjoy this show. Again, one that I just finished watching the first 10 episodes this last week or so, which probably helped somewhat. I've never watched any of Sorkin's previous shows, but maybe I should. I love the quick dialogue, the pop culture references, and the political leanings.

A special shout-out to The Office. I didn't start watching this when it started, and I seldom pick up on a show after it's been running awhile, but I started watching The Office this year, and I absolutely love it. Easily the funniest thing on TV.

2 Comments:

Blogger STOLTMAN said...

My thoughts on Heroes. It is incredibly well plotted. The cliffhangers and plot twists are excellent. The writers know how to do the big things. The scripting is terrible. The dialogue is boring. The writers don't know how to do the small things. You can get an incredible amount of characterization out in dialogue but they aren't doing that here. The only character that even seems to have a distinct personality is Hiro.
But there are definitely things I like about the show. The scene on the subway with Future Hiro was very cool. I'm probably the only one but I liked the "break the internet in half" reference.

2:23 AM  
Blogger Kootch said...

After further reflection, I think I agree with you for the most part here. The dialogue can be pretty bad on the show. Still the best new show of the year, though. And I laughed uproariously at the "break the internet in half" line.

7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home