Saturday, December 30, 2006

Best of 2006 - Movies

Ah, movies. At least I still know something about the cinema, try to keep abreast of what's out there, even though I don't get much of a chance to see it all, given where I live. I'm not much for renting and/or buying DVDs, but I think I'm going to have to get more into that. Netflix, I suppose? Anyway, I saw only 29 full-length films in the theatre this year. I have to qualify that "full-length" 'cause I did get to see 11 short films -- Landmark theatres hosted the 2005 Oscar-nominated short films in both live action and animated categories -- all five at a shot (plus a bonus in the animated set), a great opportunity and a wonderful viewing experience. I hope they do it again.

Best film of the year: The Departed, Martin Scorscese's brilliant, noirish gangster thriller. Complex, but not convoluted. Well acted. Amazing cinematography. A shoo-in for some well-deserved Oscar noms.

Other good films: Black Dahlia: While not everything worked here, anyone who wants a primer on noir film needs look no further. Corrupt cops, femme fatales, violence, rain-soaked darkness, voiceover narration, plot twists -- oh, yeah. Little Miss Sunshine, the indie film that could. Probably more popular than anyone thought it would be. Delightful. Monster House: my favorite animated film of the year. A kids' story probably, but definitely more mature than most, even frightening. Highly recommended for kids of all ages. An Inconvenient Truth: the film that made a movie star out of Al Gore. The kind of documentary that everyone needs to see. The visuals help make the sometimes dry (that's a global warming joke, by the way) facts more understandable and powerful at the same time. A Prairie Home Companion: the swan song of the late Robert Altman. It had me hooked from the opening credits to the final Mickey's Diner scene.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home