Saturday, September 23, 2006

"The Actor"

As part of my Adolescent Lit class at MSUM, we have to dabble in some poetry writing. (Yeah, I don't get it either.) I'm not much good at poetry, but I do like to write ocassionally. Last week, we had to write a "monologue poem." Robert Browning's "My Last Duchess" was the example -- a great poem that everyone should read. Anyway, I kinda liked mine, so here it is. I call it "The Actor." I've been thinking about theatre lately, as I'm starting to direct our fall school play again, so that "inspired" it.

Hey, you -- on stage left --
No, no -- the one with the hat -- yes, yes --
Do you think you could come downstage
On your line -- sweetheart, what's the line?
Ah, yes, on your line that begins
"But I never knew where it came from..."
Yes, that's it -- You need to be closer
To the audience -- Hmmm, what's that?
What's your motivation?
Oh, darling, I'm the director, and I
Need you downstage at that moment --
You're an actor, right? Come up with
Your motivation -- Ask yourself why
Why would I do this? Why now?
Always ask why. Okay, got it?
From the top, everyone!
Do you think we could lose the hat?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this. I was thinking that I was the only one that was wondering why this would be in a theater.

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home