Tuesday, September 19, 2006

First Night of Twelfth Night

For our annual fall all-school play, I decided to try something different: I'm directing Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare. I was always pretty sure about doing it, but there was also a nagging doubt preying on the back of my mind throughout the time when committing to it came nearer. I went for it. Had auditions last week, which went well. I had most, if not all, of the kids I expected, my "regulars," and a good sampling of new kids. I had six freshmen girls who auditioned (four of whom got parts), which I was pleased to see. Casting was surprisingly easy, with only one part I was unsure of.

We started rehearsal tonight, with our first read-through. A "read-through" is just what it sounds like: you assemble the cast, and they sit around and read through the script aloud. Usually this is a one-night, one-shot deal. This year, I decided to schedule two nights for our read-through. I figured it was Shakespeare, the kids might struggle with it, and we might need the extra time. I was wrong. We read through the entire play in two hours. The kids were remarkably good. I was very impressed. And now we're kind of a day ahead of where I thought we'd be, a great feeling. Obviously, we've got plenty of work ahead of us, but at this particular moment I'm feeling very confident.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lover of Words, Books, Games, Theatre, Film, Art said...

I agree with K. My neighbor, a college English teacher would praise your efforts as well. Exposing students to Shakespeare by performance will give them confidence to tackle it in college.

And as Alec Wild (who directed TN at GRSF) has said, Shakespeare is meant to be peformed and seen on a stage, not simply studied as text.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Kootch said...

Many teachers, myself included, have echoed Mr. Wild's comments. Who's your neighbor and where does he/she teach?

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home