Wednesday, August 09, 2006

U2 + 30 years

I was listening last week to the most recent U2 album, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, and watching the accompanying DVD that came with the initial release, a mini-documentary on the making of the album. And I was struck by a thought. (Really; it came at me out of nowhere and I couldn't avoid it.) Even neglecting the popularity of U2 (and they have, at various times, been the biggest band on the planet), I can't think of another band that's been together as long as they have been without any personnel changes. They formed the band (about) 30 years ago when the boys were in high school (or whatever its Irish equivalent may be), and have been U2 ever since. That's a long time to be with anyone. Most bands don't last anywhere near that long, and those that do often undergo numerous changes in personnel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home