Monday, July 31, 2006

It's time for Animaniacs!

Helloooo, Nurse!

I don't buy a lot of new DVDs. Like CDs and books, I generally wait to see if I can find what I want in the used racks somewhere. And I actually haven't even bought many used DVDs lately. However, when I saw that Animaniacs Vol 1 had been released on DVD, I rushed right out to purchase it. Didn't hurt that the local indie music store where I bought it had it on sale for something like 30% off. I'm about halfway through the second disc of the five-disc set, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Some of it's a bit dated (these first shows are from 1993) with topical jokes about contemporary celebrities, but the overall absurdist humor is what really shines about this show. I suppose in part it takes me back to a certain point in my life that I remember fondly. Mostly, it's just a great show: from the misadventures of Yakko, Wakko, and Dot and the first appearance of Pinky and the Brain (narf!) to the mafia-pigeons of Goodfeathers and my personal favorite, Buttons and Mindy.

Okay. I love ya. Bye-bye.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lover of Words, Books, Games, Theatre, Film, Art said...

As a self-proclaimed cartoon buff, I would say that the Animaniacs was the first great cartoon series since the days of Bugs Bunny and Road Runner. As for the use of "current" celebrities, one need look no further than those Warner Bros cartoons of the 50's to see cartoon versions of Peter Lorre or Edgar G. Robinson or James Cagney, or Jimmy Stewart, etc.

This is exciting news that this series is available. I'll have to get it.

2:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home