Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Sleeping

I may have mentioned that I didn't sleep much during my Chicago weekend. In fact, the four nights of Wed-Sun, I slept for 14 hours total. Often I don't sleep well normally. If I wake up in the middle of the night (whenever "middle" might be depending on what time I've gone to bed), I can sometimes be awake for an hour or two (or more). Since I lived alone (and have for a long, long time), I'm not used to there being other people around when I sleep, so that makes me, well, not really "uncomfortable," but it prevents my sleeping soundly. Add to that the fact that we'll stay up really late and then get up early to go to the con the next day.

What's amazing, and what I intended to write about when I started this entry, is the amount of sleep I've gotten since I returned from Chicago. Sunday night I slept 12 hours, and Monday night I slept 10. (I do tend to sleep a whole lot whenever I'm at my folks' house, though, for whatever reason.) I was up late last night (after 3:00), and woke up at six for more than an hour (I actually got up and ate some breakfast and then went back to bed), and I just now took a nap for about two hours.

What's really amazing to me is not that I can do that, but that I'm able to. Let me explain the difference this way: how many people out there can lie down for a nap and not be disturbed for two hours? It's that living alone thing, again, plus the fact that my phone seldom rings. One time this summer, I had to get up early for a Saturday morning rehearsal --bearing in mind that my "normal bedtime" has become around 3:00 a.m.-- and took a four-hour nap in the afternoon!

My friend Mo and I used to have these friendly "competitions" in the summer to see who could sleep the latest. He was pretty good at it then. One day this summer I woke up at 2:15. (That's in the afternoon, of course.) I'm guessing I won that one, Mo.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kootch said...

I've seldom gotten up before noon this summer.

11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home