Monday, August 01, 2005

Dating in the 21st Century

So I had dinner tonight with a woman I know. Was it a date? What does that term even mean anymore? We met at the restaurant for dinner. We had a good time talking through dinner, and even stayed there long after we'd both finished eating. We were there maybe two hours. I didn't get especially dressed up, but I did change clothes before I went. I picked up the check -- which was kind of an odd moment, because neither of us said anything about it, but she just kind of stood back when I took it up to the register and paid. I guess technically I had asked her if she wanted to go out for dinner tonight, so in some customs, it would be my duty to pay for it. (I'm not at all upset, annoyed, or otherwise put out by having paid; I don't want to give that impression. It was just an odd moment is all.)

So was it a date? I don't know.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lover of Words, Books, Games, Theatre, Film, Art said...

I know that *we* have a rule as to what constitutes a date, but ask yourself... why did you ask her out to dinner? What impression did you likely give her as to why you asked her out? If you asked her to a movie within the next week, would she take you up on it? If so, I'd say it's a date.

My wife still tells me that she doesn't believe the first time we went to dinner was a date. She said if she in any way thought she was going to be going out on a date she would have said no. I just smile and tell her that's the art of asking someone out on a date without making it seems like a date.

...'course I haven't had to do that in ten years now....

9:44 PM  
Blogger Kootch said...

Actually, Mo, I'd like you to pay.

Stix, so you haven't had a date in ten years? Poor Theresa.

11:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You paid and she didn't fuss, so maybe she considered it a date. If you went strictly as friends, she would have asked "how much is mine?", or I get you back next time. I think you just had a date, my friend.

8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home