Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Missing Tuesday

Some people might say I missed the whole day today. I slept from just after 9:00 this morning until just after 6:00 p.m. tonight. But I would say two things to that: 1) I was awake and busy all throughout the night, and 2) It was Tuesday -- what's to miss? Seriously, though, I got one of the best "night's" sleep I've had in recent memory today. And I didn't get bothered once: no one stopping by, no phone calls, nothing. That's not too unusual.

A note on getting up: so far I haven't used any type of alarm to get up at a certain time. Today, for example, I think the only other time I woke up, I glanced at the clock, and it was a little before 5:00. When I finally woke and got up, it was shortly after 6:00. Looking forward to the night...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The older I get, the more convinced I am that my body is wired for being awake during the night, and that I'm just forcing it to conform to a schedule of daylight wakefulness simply because that's what's expected by the rest of the world. Being awake while everyone else is asleep makes the world seem both more intimate and empty - intimate because no one else is around and there isn't any noise or light to break up the sounds outside, and empty because, like you said, it feels like you're the only person alive. I love that feeling, even if it's somewhat selfish of me to want the entire world to myself.

Anyway, I'm following your experiment with some interest, since I have a sleep schedule to re-adjust in about two weeks myself. Unfortunately, because of my living situation I don't think I'll get to use the same method as you, but it's interesting to read about all the same. Hope it works out for you, and that you enjoy this last week of self-directed activity.

2:07 AM  
Blogger Kootch said...

Wyl, thanks for the comments. I'm obviously doing this "experiment" for myself, but if someone else can benefit from my experience, great.

I know what you mean about being wired to be awake at night. I'm a total night owl; I like staying up late and sleep best between six a.m. and noon. Of course, given my job, this is impossible for nine months out of the year.

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home